The Way Things Is (as of November 5th)

I’m out of the hospital and back home, with a fancy new metal hip joint and everything.

I was admitted early Tuesday morning, and had the surgery pretty quickly. I then woke up about ten hours later with a whole lot of new sensations and feeling like a cotton-headed ninny muggins.

Y’know how each hip joint consists of a ball and a socket for the ball to rotate in? If not, maybe go search google for “hips” and click on the first link that doesn’t have the word Shakira in it.


Anyway, it turns out my cancer ate away so much of of the ball of my left hip, that it was ready to crack any second. This explains all the pain I’ve been having in my left hip the past few months.

So my orthopedic oncologist destroyed that ball, and replaced it with a new metal ball joint. That metal ball joint will use the same ‘ol socket my hip has had all these years, because we haven’t spotted any problems there.

She also scraped out all of the cancerous material from the damaged joint, and sent it out for testing. We don’t have every test result back yet, but so far it looks like it an old dead tumor, and not new cancerous activity.

So I spent Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday at the hospital, working with both Physical Therapy (PT) and Occupational Therapy). Perhaps you, like me, did not realize that those were two separate things. But alas, they are, and they often want you to do the same exercise(s)  over and over again.

After four days of trying my charming best, and some light cajoling, KU finally agreed to turn me loose. Haley came and picked me up, and now I’m back in my wonderful little house with my wonderful little family.

I had a lot of meetings planned for this past week, that were wiped out by this emergency hip surgery, so I’m trying to get them re-scheduled as soon as possible. I’m sure I’ll have some updates to my scheduled by lunchtime Monday.

The pain isn’t too bad right this second, but if I move my hip in any sort of unusual way the pain reminds me that it is very important not to do that.

I missed blogging while I was in the hospital, and so I have a bunch of things I need to circle back around on. Things like Halloween, and the fact that my son Logan was selected as first chair for Trombone in the Kansas City Metro District Honor Band. That may sound like a bunch of gibberish, but trust me, it’s a pretty amazing accomplishment. We’re all so excited for him.

I think that’s everything for now, just wanted to try and get caught up with some things. I’ll hopefully have the time and energy to post more often this coming week.


Doo do do doo do.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s